The Admiralty Head Light is a deactivated aid to navigation located on Whidbey Island near Coupeville, Island County, Washington, on the grounds of Fort Casey State Park.
The restored lighthouse overlooks Admiralty Inlet. It was the companion to the Point Wilson Light, which sits four miles away on Admiralty Inlet’s western shore.
Two lighthouses have been built on Admiralty Head. Only the second remains. Admiralty Head, the east entrance point of Admiralty Inlet, is the southeast extremity of a succession of bluffs extending northward along the western shore of Whidbey Island to Point Partridge, where the bluffs attain their highest elevation.
In 1858, the United States purchased 10 acres on the headland for $400. The original lighthouse was a wooden, two-story house with tower projecting from the gable. It was completed in 1861.
It had a fourth order Fresnel lens, which was visible at 16 miles. In 1890, construction of Fort Casey forced the relocation of the lighthouse to a spot close to the site of the present lighthouse. It was demolished in 1928
A second, 30-foot-tall lighthouse, constructed of brick and stucco, was built in 1903. The design by Carl Leick incorporated thick walls meant to withstand earthquakes and the concussion of Fort Casey’s guns.
The lighthouse was deactivated in 1922, and the lantern moved to the New Dungeness Lighthouse in 1927. During its later occupancy by the Army, the lighthouse was used as a training facility for the K-9 dog program. In 1990, the U.S. Postal Service issued a 25-cent stamp featuring the Admiralty Head Light.
Image best viewed in Large screen. Thank-you for your visit! I really appreciate it! ~Sonja
Tagged: , Washington , Washington State , State of Washington , Water , Ocean , Whidbey Island , Coupeville , USA , United States , Scenic , Scenery , Landscape , Fort Casey State Park , Puget Sound , Nikon , Nikon D5300 , Historic Building , Historic Site , National Register of Historic Places , Admiralty Inlet , Admiralty Head Ligh , Admiralty Head Lighthouse , Admiralty Head , PNW , Pacific Northwest , Saratoga Passage